No South African games for NZ referee Lawrence
Updated: January 20, 2012, 16:56
Send to a friend
WELLINGTON, New Zealand(AP) New Zealand referee Keith Lawrence says he has not been appointed to any Super 15 rugby matches in South Africa this season because of continuing fallout over his handling of last year's Rugby World Cup quarterfinal between the Springboks and Australia.
Lawrence said he received threats and abuse from South African fans over his performance in the quarterfinal which was won 11-9 by Australia, knocking the world champion South Africans out of the World Cup.
He said: "I got quite a few threats, people telling me if I came to South Africa to watch my back because they'd take me out.''
Lawrence said he was eager to face his critics but the decision not to appoint him to South African games had been taken by the Super 15 organizing body SANZAR. The tournament begins Feb. 24.